Calamonaci is an inland small town of the Province area of Agrigento on the way to Ribera.
There live 1500 people.
Its economy is based mainly on agriculture.
The name of Calamonaci comes from an Arab expression meaning Post Fortress, which corresponds to a present service station.
The town was founded in 1574 by Antonino De Termine.
The most interesting characteristic of the old town are the religious votive pictures made on colourful ceramic tiles from Burgio which decorate the walls of different buildings.
The most popular religious feast of Calamonaci is the one dedicated to San Vincenzo Ferreri which takes place the first Sunday of August.
That’s the time of the year when the inhabitants divided in two different groups have a competition, the so called Rigattiate and run for a special prize. Fire works are particularly interesting to see.